Friday, March 16, 2012

Here We Grow Again....

Friday, March 16, 2012
No, No not our family!!

Our garden!!!


The past two years to say that our garden has flopped is an understatement. Our mistake the first year (a mistake for us anyway) is we did not start the plants indoors and I was not really sure which of the growing greenery were plants or were weeds..I figured it out too late.

Last year our garden was doing just fine until our neighbors chlorinated pool popped and all the water drained right into our garden.

This year we are doing things a little differently. We are starting the majority of our plants indoors and will be doing container gardening. We sought out advice at a local family-owned nursery which was a big help.

Our recently turned 8 year old son, who is aspiring to be a farmer someday, as well as a zookeeper, pretty much funded our garden this year. Before you judge us, let me explain...he asked for plants, seeds and soil for his birthday. So along with some cash so that he could pick out some of his own seeds and a couple of non-plant gifts, that is what he got.

Above is what he purchased with the said cash...he picked up a few flower packets (he generally likes to just grow food) for his sisters to plant too, he is sweet like that. We found a great deal on them at our local Rural King store. The packets were only $0.10 each. I let him buy all the plants he wanted, because I had to tell him that he could not buy the baby ducks or chicks that were also for sale.

I remind him, the girls and myself (hubby was at work) that some day we will be able to buy them, just not today.

And in case you were wondering if my frugality was rubbing off on my kids, um yes it is. See the white paper that is circled in the picture..that is a note left for my husband by our son telling him about the awesome deal he was able to get on the seeds and strawberry plants!


I will post soon what exactly it is we have planted and try to keep you updated on what is going on with our garden. We are also keeping better track of when we plant, when we fertilize, water, etc. I am hoping and praying that this will be the year we will be able to eat off of our bounty! What a great blessing that would be!



Linking up to Finer Things Friday and Homestead Bran Hop.

2 comments:

  1. Stopped in of the Blog Hop! I bet you will do better this year with your garden. Come visit at:
    http://theredeemedgardener.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this year with the garden. Last year our garden was almost a bust too! This year though, it will be amazing...I hope!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...