Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dance in the Rain: Learning to Say YES!

Wednesday, September 4, 2013
Have your kids ever asked to play in the rain? Mine have...and I have always said no. I don't like to be wet, I don't want them to get wet...seems just too messy.  Probably not a good reason to not let them play in the rain. ( I am not talking lightning here)

Growing up my dad's rule of thumb in parenting was to always say yes when you can because there are so many things that you will and must say no to.

So often as parents we have already decided the answer before our child has even finished asking the question. Maybe it is because we are too tired to even think about what it is they are asking or we are in the middle of something else. Sometimes it's because it is easier to pull the "because I said so" card and say no. Maybe it is because saying yes will require something of us, like our time.

Sadly to say I have been guilty of all the reasons above. I often say no because it is the easiest thing to say at that moment, and just as often I am met with eyes full of disappointment.

So I am working on saying yes more often.

Like when this one asks to eat marshmallows in her chair while watching an episode of Full
House...in her messy room. My logic tells me to say NO! But then I ask myself "why not?"

                                  

I think my dad was right. There are so many things that we, as parents, as Christian parents, will have to say no to, so why not say yes as often as we can.

I heard a preacher say one time "If it doesn't affect eternity...then let it go."

So next time it rains..... this girl and her four kids are dancing in the rain...because I WILL say YES!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...